Man hand with pen writing on notebook.

After reading The Memory Police, I have no doubt that this is one of the most interesting novels I have read. However, there was something that confused me at first. The author chose to include pieces of the main character’s stories that she writes. For a while, I didn’t understand why the author would choose to include them. Originally, I thought it was for entertainment purposes, simply so readers could see what kind of things the main character was writing in her novels. writing

I did eventually realize that the main character is slowly losing herself, rather than just losing possessions. As a writer, she relies on words and things to communicate and to include in her writing. As I was reading the main character’s writing on page 132, I realized that she was writing about losing her freedom. Showing how the typing teacher ‘trapped’ the girl, it made me realize that the author probably included these passages to further represent the main character’s feelings of slowly withering away with the other disappearances.

R’s incredible view of the main character’s writing also gave me this idea.

“When the surface of your soul begins to stir, I imagine you want to capture the sensation in writing.”

The main character loses her ability to create temporarily until R begins to draw it out of her again. Eventually, she is able to write again, but her body fully disappears. Even though her soul remains, it is another sentiment to her feeling of being ‘trapped’ and ‘absorbed’, just like in her stories.

Another thing that interested me was the stories R tells the main character to keep her from forgetting things entirely. It is as if it becomes an outlet for him as he is confined to the small room he hides in. It also deeply affects the main character, in that she is able to have someone to care for as everything around her disappears. R’s stories give her something to look forward to and understand, rather than only feeling that she is completely disappearing, mentally and physically.

3 Responses to “Stories within The Memory Police”

1. minyard20 says:

Great points about the use of the narrator’s own writing. If I remember correctly, I believe she also used some of the forgotten words in her writing, so it serves as another way for these things to be remembered.

2. mmheath3973 says:

I agree with you both. I think this novel and the narrator’s work shows the importance of words themselves. It is a physical line of communication and without words people could not connect with each other.

3. Kate Dearie says:

I agree and think R’s contribution to her memory loss is beautiful. He doesn’t want her to forget what was important to her in her final moments. He always tries to maker her remember the things that are important and even keeps her from destroying old objects from her past. Words are important not just to us as readers, but for the characters themselves too.