Pen and Paper

The Memory Police is a fine example of the difference between American and foreign writing. Yoko Ogawa does several things that starkly contrast with the intentions of American writing. Firstly, there is no character development in the protagonist. The narrator does not undergo any emotional or mental change throughout the story. She maintains her persona of passivity and acceptance. Though her actions of saving R could be easily construed as heroic, they are not. She saves the person from a potential deadly situation, but does nothing to attempt to change said situation. In addition, there is no action or thrills at any place in this novel. The protagonist doesn’t rally R and the townspeople to fight against the Memory Police, there is no heroic stance, there are no questions being asked, no secret meetings in safe houses, and neither is there any sort of a climax in the story. The only thing present is a remarkable passivity amongst the residents of the island. Furthermore, the reader feels uneasy throughout the entire novel. Speaking for myself, there was never a place or moment when I felt grounded. The novel read like a mist that was slowly becoming thicker until I could no longer see anything. Strangely, I find this fascinating and refreshing. Everything about the novel is such a contrast to all other novels I have read in my life. I think this is because Yoko Ogawa is of a different mindset. She is about the surreal, the psychology, metaphor, human existence, etc. She writes against the standard form of creating a good novel with good characters and there is something so compelling in the way she does it.

2 Responses to “Yoko Ogawa’s Method of Writing”

1. amhynst4909 says:

I agree with the idea that the main character was intent on remaining a bystander, rather than trying to change something about the horrors of the memory police. It does indeed give readers a different feeling from American writing because we aren’t reading a typical heroine story.

2. harpham21 says:

Margie,
    I really enjoyed how you focused on the writing method of this book rather than symbolism or a re-cap of what this book was about. It is something I hadn’t picked up on and your blog post was highly thought-provoking.