angelAs the story began, I thought the point of view of “A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings” was very important. The story begins when a supernatural weather occurrence happens and no one knows what is happening. One day, a weak old man is found lying in the mud. Everyone is curious and frightened, but they also have trouble believing that he is a real angel, based on his disheveled appearance. As far as point of view, it seems that the story is written in third person omniscient because even though it follows a specific character, there is also the exposure of other people’s thoughts and reactions, or in third person limited, since the story follows one person and they could simply be seeing the reactions of others. This is interesting because it wasn’t written in first person. Instead, the reader receives many different opinions and actions from the other characters.

As I was reading this, I became curious about the supernatural in the story. I wondered whether or not the angel was the only supernatural occurrence. However, the rains that kill all of the fish seems like it is supernatural, as well as the child being magically cured. It seems to me, that this is a visibly fantastic story on its own, with a lot of fictional components and reactions.

Something else I thought was interesting about this story was how the author depicted this angel in such a disheveled state. This, combined with the people’s curiosity and the angel’s patience, made this story very unique. I liked the detail that the angel was there to either heal or take away the sick child. I thought this added depth to the story and made it more interesting. The reactions of the people are interesting as well. Most of them are skeptical, but others are fascinated and do everything they can to pester the angel, by pulling his feathers, poking him, and other things. In the end, the angel’s patience proves to be significant, as the child is healed and the angel is soon able to fly away.