Memories Lost

unnamedWhile reading “The Resident,” I concluded that this is one of the most interesting stories we have read this semester. The complexity of the main character struggling to find her memories while juggling her writing and anti-social tendencies was really interesting. It left me, as a reader, wondering if the main character had experienced something that made her a nervous person, or if that was just her personality. The omitting of her memories made me even more curious. I found myself wanting to know what was so special about her time as a girl scout. There were so many things combined in this story, that I had no difficulty getting through it. The fascination of what was to come had me excited to keep reading.

Outside of the main character’s fascinating inner turmoil, I was really struck by how the other characters played into the story. While they weren’t overly developed because the story focuses on the main character, it was still fascinating how they are introduced with their own artistry. The characters almost seem as if they know more about her than they let on, mentioning the familiar quotes and other things regarding her past. The other characters help us to understand the main character’s predicament a little more and gives readers more regarding her memories through the television show she saw.

“”I said, not everybody’s cut out for this, I guess.” It was the first sentence of hers that stayed in my mind the way speech should. “Is that– from something?” I asked her.”

Something else that caught my attention was the TV show with her memories. I was curious as to why this was included. I felt as if the memories tangent was never fully resolved. While it does reveal some of her memories, such as her sleepwalking and the revealing of the riddle, it left me confused by the end.

2 Responses to “Memories Lost”

1. mccray20 says:

I agree with wondering if she experienced something that was giving her these nerves. Going off of that I personally wonder if it had something to do with her time during Girl Scouts, as it is mentioned that she used to come to camp in the same area as a child. So it could be the area triggering these bad memories and making her nervous to be around people in the same area.

2. harpham21 says:

I agree with you when you write:

“Outside of the main character’s fascinating inner turmoil, I was really struck by how the other characters played into the story. While they weren’t overly developed because the story focuses on the main character, it was still fascinating how they are introduced with their own artistry. ”
    I was actually really focused on the main character so I didn’t pay much attention to the other characters in the story, with the exception of the girl who went home early. I think the other characters were written very vaguely but complimented and justified the actions of the main character.