“Mantis”

In “Mantis,” the traditional sense of transformation is taken to the utmost level of odd, yet, it seems to fit in the criteria of “fantastic in fiction.” Usually, a transformation story begins with an “ugly-duckling” that turns into a swan or an ordinary caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. Whereas her differences, or imperfections, are expressed, she was not a social outcast like the usual stereotype. She had friends and even attracted a guy’s attention, despite having a skin condition. Her genetic transformation, which her mother defines as “difficult puberties,” can be defined as the journey from self-hatred to accepting yourself.

This story begins by addressing the “problem” with clarity, as well as justifying it. The audience learns early on, by an explanation from her mother, that these “problems” are connected through genetics by her grandmother associated with puberty. It is described that her transformation includes: skin splitting and cracking, teeth fall out, hair thinning, eye position displacement, etc. When the story focuses on her friends, it is revealed that her friends are in the same turmoil. This is seen in the statements, “In the spaces between mass and classes, we talk long, indulgent circles of self-hatred. It is Girl-Language – a cozy bonding rite. We are all convinced we are too fat, too short, too ugly; competing for each title with Olympic fervor, every grievance made to top what came before” (4). Here, she engages in the self-hatred expressed with being a teenage girl going through the journey of puberty. She does not embrace her “late bloomer” transformation genes until the end of the story, where she has her epiphany. “There is a coming apart, my head swimming within the collapse, and I understand at once what my Mother meant by “late blooming – an adolescence quite unlike the one my classmates have been through” (17). She recognizes her differences and embraces them. “I twitch my head toward the boy, feeling a shuffling in my back of something quite like wings. I flex my arms and raise myself a little higher as the last of my skin falls down unheeded to the bathroom floor” (18). It seems as though she has found confidence in her transformation.

There arises some questions in which could only be answered by assumptions. By the title “Mantis,” it could be concluded that she transforms into a praying mantis. It is common knowledge that, during mating, a female praying mantis eats the male’s head. There arises some questions. Throughout the story, the protagonist asks questions about her grandfather, however, her mother brushes the questions off by telling her, “your Granddad wasn’t around by that time” (7).  As for her father, he is barely mentioned, “I think, again, about my grandmother, about the absence of a grandfather, my mother’s unknown thumb-smudge of groom” (17). Before the party, and her transformation, there was a rumor about a boy being attracted to her. At the party, it proves true as he approaches her and takes her in another room. “I knew you wanted it,” he tells her as she starts her transformation. “It is possible the boy says something, possible he screams. My mouth is wide with anticipation. Not for kissing but for something more in keeping with my genes” (18).

One Response to ““Mantis””

1. davis22 says:

That was a great observation about the line “for something more in keeping with my genes”! I hadn’t picked up on that! Armfield obviously put a lot of care into the details of the story. I’m really interested in the various readings of this story, because I’m sure there were a lot of readers (I’m guessing you were one of them) who were able to immediately pick up on those sorts of things and figure out where the story was going, but I’m not nearly as observant and most of it went over my head until the end. I wonder if that makes any difference in response to the story. What do you think it all means?