After discussing “The Metamorphosis” in Tuesday’s class, I have begun to think more about metamorphosis and how it relates to Thursday’s stories. Usually, metamorphosis is a positive thing; it is a transformation into something greater, something more evolved. When considering Gregor Samsa’s transformation, however, it doesn’t seem to be anything but negative for all involved, and at a glance, it looks like the same can be said for the transformations in “Fatso,” “Beast,” and “Mantis.”

Not much is known about the protagonist of “Fatso”; no family or friends are mentioned at any time during the story, and we have no real sense of his personality. From the way he revels in his new nightly escapades, however, it can be assumed that he was previously lonely, or just introverted. He is made more outgoing and adventurous by his relationship with “the fatso.” In the girlfriend’s case, her relationship with the protagonist actually becomes stronger, despite her original fears that he would leave her once he found out about the curse. In the end, the transformation turns out to be more positive than negative, resulting in a happy ending for both parties.

In “Beast,” there is a bit more to go on when it comes to our main characters. They were both high school sweethearts and married shortly after graduation; the narrator’s brother committed suicide at a young age; she grew up around a crazy man named Pete who kept a pet deer. Her relationship with her husband is stable throughout the story; even when she tells him that she has been turning into a deer, it doesn’t seem to faze him. In this case, the transformation provides an escape from her past; now, in the present, everything is simple. It also strengthens her relationship with her husband (once he joins her) by giving them a secret to share, and a new way of experiencing the world together.

In “Mantis,” our main character’s dilemma is basically the reverse of Gregor Samsa’s. In her human form, she suffers daily, losing her skin and hair and teeth as if she is afflicted by some horrible disease. In the end, however, we realize that she has simply been evolving into her true form—not a human, but an insect. Fully transformed, she will now be able to live according to her true nature, free of the restrictions she faced while in her human state. As her true self, she can now expect to be accepted by her family—quite unlike Gregor after his own metamorphosis.

5 Responses to “Metamorphosis in “Fatso,” “Beast,” and “Mantis””

1. I’m wondering if you think these three authors are simply using these metamorphoses in the same way in these stories — as metaphors for a particular aspect of the human experience — or if there are other purposes (philosophical, cultural, political) or elements of craft at work as well?

2. mmheath3973 says:

I thought it was interesting as well that the transformations in “Fatso,” “Beast,” and “Mantis” had such a positive effect on the protagonists. Considering the authors may have been influenced by Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis,” it’s an interesting turn that they decided to make the changes beneficial to the main characters. I suppose it may stem from the belief that becoming someone different can feel like freedom, and by doing so a person becomes more comfortable in their body and may even meet others who share similar attitudes.

3. minyard20 says:

I agree that all of the transformations in these stories have a positive impact on the characters involved. It’s very interesting to me how these physically transformations, all of which could be considered “beastly” to some degree, represent positive emotional or mental transformations. In regards to “The Metamorphosis,” I agree that for the most part, the transformation has a negative impact, but it is also worth considering the idea we briefly discussed in class on Tuesday, in which Gregor’s transformation may have had a positive impact on his sister, allowing her to mature and develop as a person. I’m curious to know what you think about that interpretation, especially in relation to the other stories.

• Kate Dearie says:

These are very interesting observations— ones I wasn’t thinking of at the time. Having broken down all the transformations, what do you think that means? Not just for the characters transforming, but for the readers too. Does it establish a sense of freedom; finally being able to be who you truly are? I find it intriguing how these three stories are positive for the narrator but “The Metamorphosis” is not. Maybe expand on why you think that is and what we’re suppose to get from that. Overall, great observation to detail.

4. harpham21 says:

I agree with Kate’s comment. I didn’t think of all three of the stories together. Instead, I thought of the stories one at a time. I think it’s interesting that you found a correlation between the three stories. I don’t think that “The Metamorphosis” was necessarily a positive story just because it added stress for everyone involved in the situation. However, I really like how you found a positive correlation between “Fatso”, “Beast”, and “Mantis” and I do agree with your point. I feel as there is a lot of fear that is associated with change/transformation, however, in these stories, it feels as if the characters are almost eager for it.